- Applicants must be U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or permanent residents of the United States
- Enrolled in a community college at the time of application and must have completed at least one year community college STEM program.
- Applicants must be majoring in STEM field and completed three science or engineering courses, one of which has a laboratory component
- No prior research experience required.
How to Apply:
Application must be submitted using the Online Application Form. All other supporting documents must be submitted using one zip files through online form. Questions regarding the application process should be directed to email@example.com. A complete application package will include:
- One-page resume.
- A short essay or statement of research interest (not exceeding 1000 words) from the applicant describing the intent, motivation to do research, and expectations from the summer program. Please also specify three research projects of your interest from the list of specified projects. Essays should be single-spaced with a blank line between paragraphs. Use 12 point Times New Roman or Arial font with 1 inch margin in all sides.
- A diversity statement (not exceeding 500 words) that describe how they have contributed to the promotion of diversity, inclusion and equity in STEM fields, and describe applicant’s personal experiences as they relate to diversity, equity and inclusion. Use 12 point Times New Roman or Arial font with 1 inch margin in all sides.
- Unofficial copies of your Academic Transcript(s). If selected for the REU program, participants will be required to provide an official copy before the start of the summer program.
- Two letters of recommendations (one from a faculty familiar with the applicant and second one can be from an instructor or supervisor of work)
- All the documents must be saved as the document name_last name.pdf (Example: Essay_Smith.pdf). The unofficial transcripts can be saved as pdf or JPEG files. Please create a zip file that has all above files to upload as a single zip file.
Letters of Recommendation:
- Recommenders should include the applicant’s name, how long they have known the applicant and in what capacity, and a ranking or evaluation of the applicant relative to their peer group. Please comment on overall research ability or potential, ability to work independently, and enthusiasm.
- The letters must be converted to pdf files and saved as Letter_of_Recommendation_Last name of the applicant.pdf (Example: Letter_of_Recommendation_Doe.pdf).
Selection to the REU Program will be based on many factors including but not limited to:
- Completeness of the application packet
- Strong motivation to carry out the project and potential for growth/educational value as evidenced in the letters of recommendation and personal statements
- Appropriate qualifications
- Willingness to live on campus housing during the period of contract
- Ability to work 40 hours per week
- Commitment to not enroll in any summer classes
- Commitment to participate in weekly seminars, research and professional development meetings
- Commitment to prepare one page proposal at start of the program and a written report at the end of the program and participate in a poster or oral presentation
- Commitment to participate in surveys
- Underrepresented minority students are strongly encouraged to apply.